The Community Resilience Program is a catalyst for local awareness, inspiration, education and community action! Our intention is to create a sustainable, just and fulfilling human presence on this planet. The Community Action Plan facilitates the transition of our neighborhoods, towns and communities into more resilient, joyful, healthy, vibrant, creative and sustainable places to live.
The Local Earth Handbook is a step-by-step guide; empowering local communities with tools, resources and training for sustainable change. The collaborative workshops, social gatherings, community classes, volunteer opportunities and research projects are focused in the following areas. (in support of Local Earth Agreement)
- Awakening the Dreamer ~ Transitioning the Dream – Supporting the Pachamama Alliance and the Awakening the Dreamer Symposium. We facilitate interactive transformational workshops that inspire participants to play a role in creating a new future. (information on website: http://awakeningthedreamer.org/) The education also includes training local leaders to facilitate the symposiums. (the Local Earth team is in the process of adapting a version of ATD symposium specifically focused on ‘getting into action’ with emphasis on ecologic sustainability ~ which we feel inherently leads to social justice as well)
- Seeds of Transition – Supporting the Transition Town Movement with weekly study groups in various communities through out San Diego County. Promoting the Transition Network’s role to inspire, encourage, connect, support and train communities as they self-organise around the transition model, creating initiatives that rebuild resilience and reduce CO2 emissions. Activities will include weekly study groups on the Transition Handbook; includes training local citizens how to become a leading part of the movement. (website: http://transitionnetwork.org/)
- Food – Supporting the development of home, neighborhood and school community garden networks (potentially corporate & hospital gardens as well). Promoting organic local food production (CSA – community supported agriculture). Education on composting, soil preparation, planting, watering, maintenance and various indigenous practices.
- Water – Supporting conscious use and conservation of water. Promoting low-flow water utilities and efficient irrigation practices. Education including rainwater harvesting, grey water systems, drip irrigation, daily lifestyle tips and various indigenous practices.
- Shelter – Supporting natural building practices and materials. Promoting energy efficient architectural design, passive solar heating/cooling, renewable natural building resources, natural day-lighting and village design principles. Education including cobb, rammed-earth, strawbale, super-adobe construction, yurt design, co-housing design facilitation, solar panel installation, earthship design principles, energy retrofits and various indigenous practices.
- Economy – Supporting the development of a thriving local economy. Promoting local financial systems and cooperative business structures. Advocating for a mutual-benefit and collaborative business culture. Education in local resource-based economic models.
- Energy – Supporting renewable energy systems and energy conservation. Promoting local utilization of solar, geothermal, hydro and wind energy. Education in energy retrofits for existing buildings, efficient electronic technology, daily lifestyle tips and solar panel installation.
- Natural Resource Management – Supporting the efficient use and conservation of natural resources. Facilitating the reduction of consumption and profit-only driven production. Education in socially responsible entrepreneurship.
- Waste Management – Facilitating the reduction of waste, pollution, consumption and profit-only driven production. Education in cradle-to-cradle design principles, recycling practices, composting and socially responsible entrepreneurship.
- Plant & Animal Biodiversity – Creating & maintaining healthy ecosystems that support local biodiversity.
- Politics – Promoting involvement, education and awareness of local politics. Grassroots community engagement supporting environmentally conscious local policy. Education in community organizing and facilitation.
- Transportation – Promoting efficient transportation with minimized carbon footprint. Advocacy for walkable communities and village-like community design.
- General Wellness – Promoting overall well-being and health. Supporting and providing local education that inspires a healthy personal lifestyle (physical, mental, emotional & spiritual).
- Community Visioning Workshop – An interactive, physically embodied, collaborative community design experience. An opportunity for all participants to creatively engage in the process of envisioning a community they feel would most optimally support them in a healthy, happy and thriving life. This is a 2 hour workshop consisting of inspirational collaborative exercises and various methods of group communication.
- Community Planning – Supporting an engaged, honest and active community voice in our local city planning. Promoting forward-thinking and environmentally conscious land use planning, building codes and permitting processes. Education and communication practices resulting in accountability and an accurate reflection of our core community values.
- Community Culture – Inspiring the cultivation of community culture, spirit and village lifestyle. Promoting walking/biking friendly communities and consciously designed neighborhoods. Supporting artistic and creative engagement for local citizens in the planning and development of our communities.
- Re-skilling – Workshops, training & education to re-skill our local communities with the tools necessary for resilient & self-reliant communities. ( ie. bee keeping, canning, preserving, machining, welding, sewing etc.)
- Permaculture – Supporting permaculture design principles and systems that can be used to implement all facets of this program. Promoting permaculture as an approach to designing human settlements and agricultural systems that are modeled on the relationships found in natural ecologies. Education based on ecological and biological principles, often using patterns that occur in nature to maximise effect and minimise work. Permaculture aims to create stable, productive systems that provide for human needs, harmoniously integrating the land with its inhabitants. Permaculture principles can be applied to any environment, at any scale from dense urban settlements to individual homes, from farms to entire regions.
By transitioning the dream… we wake up into the beautiful reality of this dream we are all experiencing together! We dream to realize, remember and recognize this amazing planet that supports us in all ways! We dream to remember and respect the truth that we are all sharing this beautiful planet… and to remember it is the responsibility of all of us to take care of this precious gift we have been given. We transition this dream from a you OR me world of competition and scarcity… to a you AND me world of health, cooperation and abundance.
Disaster Relief Community Support Program
This is a specialized facet of our Community Resilience Program used to train Community Support Teams for immediate response to natural disasters and refugee settlement camp assistance. The mission is to work together with the local residents, organizations and governments to use the most efficient materials and practices available to provide safe shelter, sanitary living conditions, clean water and locally grown food as soon as possible. The teams will be trained in all necessary components of specialized community development courses.
We host frequent community events, meetings, creative projects and social gatherings. The events are planned in a manner that takes into account all facets of daily life; this includes a healthy balance of built environment, physical well-being, emotional well-being, creative well-being, and spiritual well-being. The event times and topics vary each week (see calendar for details). We alternate action-oriented meetings and fun social gatherings.
- Health, Nutrition & Well-Being – The sustainability of our own body, mind and soul. Programs in basic nutrition, yoga, meditation, healing arts etc.
- Sustainable Living & Reskilling – The sustainability of our communities, built structures, environment and lifestyles. Programs in natural building, permaculture, community gardening, community supported agriculture, renewable energy, environmental conservation, local economics, reduction in consumption and waste etc.
- Environmentally Conscious Art & Expression – The sustainability of our creative spirit and desire for self expression. Art Programs with the creative essence based in sustainability and conscious living. Programs include music, painting, writing, photography, film etc.