The Local Earth Collective invites you to join us for our monthly social on the 1st Friday of every month at the World Beat Center! (March 1st / 6:30-10:30PM)
Intention – Coming together as community to celebrate, learn, share, educate & inspire! Each month will have a theme focused on a specific element of sustainable community development & healthy lifestyle.
Eat some tasty food made with love… laugh with old friends… and get to know new eco-minded friends in San Diego! The World Beat Center serves delicious vegetarian food. We will also have a food sharing table, so please feel free to bring an organic vegetarian potluck item to share if you wish!
The element of community we are focusing on for March is ‘Shelter’. Several local organizations that are doing great work in this area will be joining us to give a short presentation on their current projects (4 Walls International & Rebuild Global). After the presentations we will show the movie Garbage Warrior – “The epic story of radical Earthship eco architect Michael Reynolds, and his fight to build off-the-grid self-sufficient communities.”
This is a ‘leave a positive trace’ event and we ask that every possible effort is made to create no waste… so please use reusable containers for food and beverages… the Earth thanks you!!!
- Friday – March 1st, 6:30-10:30PM
- The Word Beat Center / 2100 Park Blvd, San Diego 92101
- Local Earth Members / FREE (Sign agreement & $1/month or 1 hour community service/month)
- Non-members / $2 (suggested donation, no one turned away for lack of funds / volunteer options)
6:30 – 8:00 PM / Social (any, all or some of the following)
- Socialize with old friends and make new ones!
- Share healthy local organic vegetarian food
- Tables, booths, presentations and conscious conversation focused on topics of health & sustainability
- CommUNITY Expression Session – A creative container & open-mic for local musicians, poets and artists. We specifically invite, welcome and appreciate expression that is focused on healthy connection to nature and community
8:00 – 8:30 PM / Presentations from local organizations
8:30 – 10:00 PM / Film / Garbage Warrior
- Renegade architect Michael Reynolds and his green disciples have devoted their time to advancing the art of “Earthship Biotecture” – passive, solar, off-the-grid, sustainable housing. Earthship n. 1. passive solar home made of natural and recycled materials 2. thermal mass construction for temperature stabilization. 3. renewable energy & integrated water systems make the Earthship an off-grid home with little to no utility bills. Biotecture n. 1. the profession of designing buildings and environments with consideration for their sustainability. 2. A combination of biology and architecture.
10:00 – 10:30 PM / Community Discussion
- We will discuss the film and what projects we can support as a community to ensure a more healthy & sustainable approach to creating local homes and buildings.